1. Insert the video connector on the replacement system board through the back of the base plastics.
2. Replace the two hex nuts that secure the video connector to the base plastics.
3. Replace the two M2.5 x 5-mm screws that secure the left antenna, which is located between the hard drive and optical drive cages, to the system board (Inspiron™ 5100 and 5150 only).
4. Replace the two M2.5 x 5-mm screws that secure the optical drive cage to the system board.
5. Replace the three M2.5 x 5-mm screws that secure the hard drive cage to the system board.
6. Replace the battery bay shield, and reinstall the two M2.5 x 5-mm screws that secure the shield to the system board.
7. Replace the speakers.
(J) NOTICE: Before you replace the microprocessor thermal-cooling assembly, wipe the thermal grease off of the assembly with a clean paper towel. Squeeze all of the contents of the thermal grease packet (provided with the kit) on to the microprocessor thermal-cooling assembly.
9. Replace the microprocessor thermal-cooling assembly.
10. Replace the palm rest.
11. Replace the video card and EMI shield that you removed from the old system board.
12. Replace the display assembly.
13. Replace the keyboard.
14. Replace the Mini PCI card, modem, and memory module(s) that you removed from the old system board.
15. Replace the CD or DVD drive.
16. Replace the hard drive.
17. Insert the battery into the battery bay.
18. Connect the AC adapter to the computer and to an electrical outlet.
Q NOTICE: Before turning on the computer, replace all screws and ensure that no stray screws remain inside the computer. Failure to do so may result in damage to the computer.
Xa NOTE: After replacing the system board, enter the computer Service Tag sequence into the BIOS of the replacement system board.
20. Insert the CD that accompanied the replacement system board into the appropriate drive, and turn on the computer. Follow the instructions on the screen.
Back to Contents Page
Back to Contents Page
Was this article helpful?
Read how to maintain and repair any desktop and laptop computer. This Ebook has articles with photos and videos that show detailed step by step pc repair and maintenance procedures. There are many links to online videos that explain how you can build, maintain, speed up, clean, and repair your computer yourself. Put the money that you were going to pay the PC Tech in your own pocket.